Zucchini Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
I love how you can google ingredients that you have on hand and want to use up, and there is basically always a recipe that comes to save the day😄 I was looking for a recipe that included zucchini, ripe bananas, and whole wheat pastry flour, and .000001 seconds after I clicked search....BOOM! Ambitious Kitchen's skinny zucchini banana chocolate chip muffins came up. Nailed it. Ambitious kitchen is one of my favorite food bloggers (I follow her blog, I follow her Instagram page, and I even added her on Snapchat...I feel like I know her personally at this point!😉). She's hilarious and makes some incredible and healthy foods! So of course when I saw this recipe pop up first, I just knew it had to happen.
These muffins are healthy, low fat, moist (yeah i went there, I love this word. Judge me. I like to be different from the world.), and the perfect snack, dessert, or part of breakfast! My familia thoroughly enjoyed them because they were gone after 2 days. I think they taste best warm, so either try one when it comes out of the oven or warm them up! MMMM. So good.
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 medium ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 heaping teaspoon melted coconut oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup shredded zucchini (about 1 medium zucchini)
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup nonfat plain greek yogurt (I used Fage)
- 1/2 cup mini or regular chocolate chips (I used semi-sweet)
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line 12-cup muffin tin with cupcake liners and generously spray inside of liners with nonstick cooking spray.
- Squeeze shredded zucchini of excess water with a paper towel! This is an important step.
- In medium bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon; set aside.
- In bowl of an electric mixer, add mashed banana, oil, honey, vanilla and eggs; mix until smooth. Add in zucchini, applesauce, and yogurt and beat again until well combined. Slowly mix in dry ingredients until just combined. Remember not to over mix the batter -- we want moist muffins! Gently fold in 1/2 cup of chocolate chips.
- Evenly divide batter into muffin cups. Bake for about 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. I took my muffins out at 20 minutes, but I think I could've taken them out just a tad bit sooner, so you'll just need to adjust your cooking time depending on your oven.