Sweet Potato Greek Yogurt bowl
If you didn’t know by now, I have a food instagram blog type thing (@livehealthyandfree) and I follow a bunch of other health and food bloggers out there that I’ve actually become friends with a handful of them! I even got to meet up with a lovely girl named Katie (@balancingkatie) in chicago when I went up to visit my boyfriend. It was SO COOL to actually get to meet in person one of the awesome girls I’ve connected with through social media. (Social media is not always a negative thing peeps!).
Anyways, one of my absolute favorite reasons that I do this Instagram thaaang is because of all the amazing and crazy creative food inspirations out there that I see each and every day. I’m serious, I don’t go a day without screen-shotting someone’s meal or meal description that looks to-die-for or just so super creative that I never would have thunk (yes, I say the word thunk, thank you very much…don’t judge, it just flows out of my mouth quite nicely) to put certain ingredients together to make a meal such a delicious-looking meal! I have successfully (and sometimes non-successfully) recreated lots of breakfasts, lunches, snacks, and dinners that I have been inspired by through my fellow Instagram food blogger friends.
One of which is this pure GENIUS sweet potato greek yogurt breakfast power bowl initially concocted by an awesome woman from the account @shutthekaleup. Pretty much like half of my Instagram followers and the people I’m following have recreated this delightful, tasty, and nutritious bowl of all the breakfast goodies that she came up with. I mean…for reals I am so glad I finally jumped on this sweet potato greek yogurt bowl bandwagon, and I have no intentions of hopping off any time soon. The different flavors and textures just WORK and it’s amazing. I dare you to try it sometime. Listen to these ingredients…and then dream about the magical taste when you combine them all together in one bowl...
Soft, sweet and mushy mashed Sweet Potato
Thick, smooth, and creamy Greek Yogurt
Crunchy and sweet granola
Nutty, sticky, and smooth or crunchy peanut butter, almond butter, or cashew butter
Juicy and refreshing berries that pop in your mouth
Angelic Bananas (…uhhh lol how would you describe bananas…? I’m at a loss, but I love these guys and they’re wonderful in these bowls)
Dense, slightly sweet, sometimes chocolatey, yet always heavenly peanut buttery or almond buttery Perfect Bar chunks to polish this bad boy off! These are my favorite protein / nut butter / energy bars!
Then you mix it all together and you know you have the best of …7…worlds. Hannah Montana remix anyone?
- 1 small sweet potato
- Greek yogurt of choice (or Siggis...it's the best)
- Sweetener if you're using plain greek yogurt
- Fruit: berries and bananas are my favorite in this bowl
- Granola (Highly recommend Purely Elizabeth granola. Found at Whole Foods and Targets or online.)
- Nut butter of choice: peanut butter, almond butter, cashew butter, etc.
- 1/2 Perfect bar or other bar of choice (optional)
- Any other toppings your heart desires: chia seeds, hemp seeds, nuts, coconut flakes or toasted coconut, dark chocolate chips, etc.
- Chop a small sweet potato into chunks. Place sweet potato pieces in a vegetable steamer in a pot on the stove with water in the bottom. Steam on high heat for about 10-15 minutes or until soft.
- In the meantime, get all the rest of the bowl ready: Sweeten your greek yogurt if it's plain with your favorite sweetener. I use cinnamon and either English toffee sweet leaf stevia drops or french vanilla stevia drops usually. You can also use honey. Slice your bananas and berries.
- Peel the skin off of the chunks of sweet potato (Feel free to eat them...I do! They hold tons of nutrients!) Mash with a fork or potato masher.
- Transfer the mashed sweet potato to a small bowl. Add in the greek yogurt, fruit, granola, peanut butter, and any other toppings you'd like. Mash it all up or enjoy all the different parts side by side! I usually mix it all up, but feel free to do whatever. Enjoy this crazy delicious concoction!