Sweet Potato Bacon Veggie Hash
Don't you always feel so good and on top of the world when you have a veggie-filled breakfast!?
No? Just me?
...Well alrighty then... y'all are missing out! Because breakfasts like THIS are DA BOMB. They will fill you with good sustained energy for the morning, you're getting in your daily servings of veggies early on in the day, and you'll be walking away from the meal in unbelief that something so tasty is actually SO good for your body at the same time! Who wouldda thunk.
Double or triple the recipe if you want to serve more people than just yourself. Orrrr... double or triple the recipe all for yourself. That's cool too. More goodness for you. Sharing is not always easy. I get it.
- 1/2 sweet potato scrubbed and chopped into small cubes
- 2 slices bacon or turkey bacon cut into bites size pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed and minced
- Slice of onion, chopped
- A little bit of green chili / green pepper / or jalapeño pepper, chopped
- 2 brussel sprouts, sliced/chopped
- Sprinkling of fine grain sea salt
- Sprinkling of smoked paprika
- Handful of arugula
- Handful of spinach
- 1 egg
- More salt and black pepper to taste
- Heat a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat. Coat it with a little bit of olive oil or nonstick cooking spray.
- Add chopped bacon to the pan and cook for just a few minutes until there's some fat in the pan.
- Add chopped onions, garlic, peppers, sweet potatoes, and brussel sprouts. Sprinkle with sea salt and smoked paprika.
- Add a tablespoon or so of water to help cook the sweet potatoes if the pan is looking too dry. Cover the pan for 1-2 minutes to steam the potatoes. Uncover, stir to prevent burning, and cover again for another 1-2 minutes. Do this a few times or until the potatoes are soft.
- Once the potatoes are soft, add a handful of arugula and spinach, stir it around, and allow to wilt.
- Transfer hash to a plate, and cover with tinfoil for a few minutes while you cook your egg.
- In the same pan, over medium-low heat, spray pan again with nonstick cooking spray or pour in a little oil. Crack egg in the pan and cook to your liking (sunny side up, over easy, fried, scrambled, poached, etc.). Top the hash with the egg, sprinkle with salt/pepper to taste, and enjoy your healthy, delicious, veggie-packed breakfast!