Smoky Caramelized onion burgers
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or avocado oil
- 1 thinly sliced yellow onion
- 1.5 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 3/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound lean ground beef (look for 90/10 sirloin)
- 4 tablespoons plain greek yogurt or mayo (can do half and half)
- 2-3 tablespoons finely chopped bottled roasted red bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh chives
- Garlic salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- 4 whole-wheat hamburger buns, split and toasted
- Cheese (optional)
- 4 (1/2-in.-thick) tomato slices
- Baby spring greens or arugula leaves
- Red onion slices (optional)
To prepare patties, preheat grill to medium-high (about 450°F).
Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium. Add yellow onion; sauté 8 minutes or until deep golden-brown. Stir in minced garlic; cook 1 to 2 minutes or until fragrant. Remove pan from heat; let cool, and then chop onion mixture.
Combine onion mixture, cumin, paprika, salt, black pepper, and beef in a large bowl. Divide and shape beef mixture into 4 (1-inch-thick) patties. Press an indentation into the center of each patty with your thumb.
Coat grill grate with cooking spray; place on grill. Place patties on grill grate; cook about 3 to 4 (ish) minutes on each side for medium-rare or until desired degree of doneness (they can cook fast!). If you're wanting cheese, add it during the last minute or two of cooking so it can melt.
For preparing the spread, combine greek yogurt and/or mayo, bell pepper, chives, garlic salt, and pepper in a small bowl.
Place each burger patty on bottom halves of buns; top with tomato, red onion, greens, red pepper spread, and top halves of buns.