Pasta with turkey Meatballs
- Kosher salt
- 12 ounces whole wheat orecchiette pasta
- 2 bunches broccolini, cut into bite-size pieces
- 8-10 ounces sweet Italian turkey sausage, casings removed (I used 3 full sausages)
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 large egg
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 zucchinis, spiralized into zoodles
- Garlic powder
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese for topping everyone's bowl
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook as the label directs, adding the broccolini during the last 2 minutes of cooking.
- Reserve 1 cup cooking water, then drain the pasta and broccolini.
- While the water boils and pasta cooks, roll the turkey sausage meat into about tiny little meatballs. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the meatballs and cook, turning occasionally, until browned and cooked through, 5 to 6 minutes (internal temp should be about 160-165°F. Drain on paper towels.
- Cook zucchini noodles for a few minutes in the skillet until they get a little softer. Sprinkle with garlic powder for some flavor. Set aside in a bowl or plate until ready to mix into the pasta.
- Add to the skillet the remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil, the garlic, red pepper flakes and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cook over medium heat, stirring, 1 minute. Add the pasta, broccolini, meatballs, and zoodles.
- Whisk the egg with the reserved 1 cup pasta water in a small bowl, then add to the skillet and stir quickly (to not scramble the egg!) until the sauce thickens slightly. Season with salt and pepper.
- Divide the pasta among bowls. Sprinkle with the cheese and drizzle with olive oil if desired.