Hi friends! As you probably already know from the title of the website, my name is Janie. Welcome to my site! Thanks for checking it out.
Here's a little bit about me:
FAITH: First things first - I LOVE JESUS! Check out my story to read more about how I really came to faith and how God has been pursuing me in developing a solid yet ever-growing relationship with Him through trial after trial.
FAMILY: Here's my wonderful familia whom I also love with all my heart. I am so crazy thankful for each one of them. We are such a goofy, dorky, fun, Jesus-lovin' crew and I could not imagine living without them and our 'High Humor' or 'HH.' Sometimes we called it 'Triple H' for 'Hilarious High Humor' or 'Hughes High Humor.' Yeah I know, we're weirdos. But it's great. It's how we roll and I love it.
I am the youngster of the fam. I've got two awesome older brothers: Hunter is two years older than me and Forrest is the oldest who is 5 years older than me. This picture is from around 2012 or 2013, sooo we've all changed a little bit since then FYI :D
HOBBIES: I love to be in the kitchen. Doesn't really matter what I'm doing, the kitchen is my happy place -- baking cookies, cooking, eating, staring at the pantry, snacking while trying to find a better snack (or "Snaccidents" happen here frequently too -- dictionary definition: Eating an entire family sized bar of chocolate and an entire pizza by accident). The kitchen is where I get to be creative and experimental and crazy with different foods and dishes. Plus there's nothing better than turning up loud music and dancing while I'm cooking! Bustin' out my super cool dance moves is always a good time (in my world at least). My dancing is really lame actually, but I have no shame in my dancing game because I don't give a rat's ass if I look stupid. As long as I'm having fun, people can judge all they want.
I love living an active lifestyle, and although my body is unable to do many exercises and workouts now due to endless body pains, surgeries, and just how I was made, I still like to do what I can to move in ways pleasing and honoring to my body. Spinning classes are my favorite, as well as getting to road bike in the warmer weather with my parents. Besides biking, I like taking long walks listening to podcasts, sermons, or worship music and taking in God's beautiful creation. And although I'm not the greatest at it, I enjoy doing yoga, and I think my 80 year old body could use some more yoga! I used to be a big tennis player for the majority of my life too :)
And my two years of cross country will never be forgotten. I miss it and often feel so sad I can't run anymore, but I'm learning to be content and trust God even when my favorite activity has been taken away from me.
MICHIGAN: Ahh YES :) My favorite place in the world! My family has been going up to Frankfort, MI every summer for 60 years and counting. It's so relaxing and quaint, and it's just fabulous. We have a little cottage in the woods, and it is just the cutest darn place you ever did see! My mom and I have our daily routine down pat: Wake up, read the Bible, exercise in some way (bike, walk, yoga, etc), breakfast, go to the beach and have our packed lunches laying’ in the sun, shower, eat dinner, eat ice cream every night (and cherry pie from cherry hut at some point in our trip), watch the sunset, and hit the hay. We also build 1000-piece puzzles every year, which personally I love. I don't care what people say -- puzzles are awesome and relaxing. Also, sometimes we’ll go up to Sleeping Bear Dunes and hike around there -- fun, hot, and tiring walking up those steep sand dunes!
TRAVEL: I.Adore.Traveling. Getting to see new places, go exploring, and experience other cultures is something that gets me going! I can't wait to visit as many places as I can throughout my lifetime. I went to a bunch of different places in Italy with my parents in summer 2014. It was amazing. I want to go back. On that same trip we went to Scotland too. My whole family also went to New Zealand summer 2016! The beauty of New Zealand cannot be captured in a photo. There are really no words that we could say to describe this place. It was an incredible experience and filled with tons of good memories and laughter with my weird and wonderful family.
- My middle name is Steele.
- I LOVE OLAF WITH ALL MY HEART!!! I just really really really like warm hugs.
- I can do the worm with my eyebrows (going both directions)
- I taught myself how to juggle (4 out of the 5 people in my family know how to juggle).
- I have pee shyness, or pee stage-fright - whatever you want to call it. I lliterally cannot pee if there’s only one stall or even a few stalls in the bathroom and there’s people waiting in line...or if it’s super quiet in a bathroom and there’s only one or two other people in there with me. It’s a real problem. I have pretended like I've gone pee before and walked out of bathroom still having to use the restroom very badly countless times. I need like a pee therapist. Alrightly, enough about that. Sorry if you think this is weird to say publicly. I'm pretty open about these things.
- I’ve broken 5 bones and sprained a lot of bones although i’ve been drinking cow’s milk my whole life. I’m just a huge klutz apparently with brittle bones that like to be problematic. #WhatchaGonnaDo. I've also gotten stitches on my forehead, hip surgery, and I've come to know just about every physical therapist in the St.Louis area...if that doesn't tell you something about me...I don't know what will. #ImOld. #20goingon80
- I’ve run one half marathon.
- I have an on-going list on my phone of my favorite words and least favorite words. It's a pretty serious thing that I've been very dedicated about updating for a solid 3 years I think so far. If you have any words that you love or despise, let me know so I can add to my list if I agree with you :)
- Moist is on my FAVORITE word list. Yes, you read that right. I like to be different from the world and it drives me bonkers when pretty much everybody will say it's their least favorite word. LIKE C'MON stop conforming to the world kids! Make your own least favorite word opinions. Two of mine are 'lard' and 'flan.'
- I won a cursive handwriting contest for my state when I was in both 4th and 6th grade and won $50 each time with a shnazzy pen. Janie's Advice Column: If you don't want to get a job, just practice cursive and enter some contests and earn some good money there😄 If all else fails in life, this will be my go-to.
- The only kind of shopping I like is grocery shopping
- The Lion King is my favorite Disney movie and Beauty and the Beast is my favorite princess movie.
- I'm like the biggest introvert ever and I'm proud of it after hating on myself for too dang long! Don't you be thinking that I don't like people because this is not what an introvert means and I DO like people!
- I could eat peanut butter and guacamole all day every day.
FAVORITE THINGS: Chicken, nut butters, Jesus, soft things, Mexican and Italian food, chocolate, roasted vegetables, sweet treats with all the chocolate, hugs, yoga pants, pancakes, Disney, Olaf, my family, worship music, coloring, Oreo ice cream, mountains, beach, warmth, rainbow sprinkles, cereal, salt, long walks by myself.
LEAST FAVORITE THINGS: Jeans or any type of pants other than sweatpants or yoga pants or pjs, olives, fishy fish, food that stares at me (AKA shell fish...I'll only eat de-shelled shrimp), eggplant, soggy things (besides cereal), dishes swimming in oil or butter...just no✋🏼...that's not necessary folks,