Big Vegan Bowl
This is an awesome versatile meal that can be made with anything you or your family likes and can be adapted to use whatever you have on hand at the time -- Leftover roasted Brussels sprouts or baby potatoes? Made too much quinoa or rice the night before? Perfect! Use those as toppings so you don't let have to them go to waste!
This is a bowl of NO RULES. Go crazy. Pick foods you actually want to eat and enjoy. Trying new foods is also great too. It could be time to, as I like to say, "Broaden your horizons!" Tastebuds change and you might surprise yourself by what kinds of new vegetables you like now that you used to hate.
Also, why not experiment with different flavors of hummus and dressings while you're at it? Make it fun! Spice it up as much as you'd like.
- 1-2 medium-large sweet potatoes, chopped into little cubes
- 1 can chickpeas (15 oz.) drained and rinsed
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1-2 large carrot, spiralized or julienned or sliced if you don't have a spiralizer
- Cucumber, chopped
- Dry Roasted Edamame (Or regular, but I prefer the crunch)
- Cherry Tomatoes
- Greens for the base (Spinach, baby kale, mixed greens, superfood mix, etc.)
- Hummus, homemade or store bought
- Lemon Tahini Dressing, homemade (I just googled one)
- Sliced Avocado
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Get out 2 baking sheets.
- Spread the chopped sweet potatoes on one baking sheet and toss with a little olive oil. Sprinkle with salt.
- Roasted Chickpeas: Drain and rinse the chickpeas. Dry them by patting them very lightly. Transfer the chickpeas to the other baking sheet and toss with a little olive oil and spices. I used garlic powder, chili powder, cumin, cayenne, and salt.
- Place the sweet potatoes and chickpeas into the oven. Set the timer for 15 minutes. When the oven dings, flip the sweet potatoes and roll around the chickpeas. Put them back in the oven and roast for another 15 minutes. The sweet potatoes will be done when they're soft and lightly browned on the bottoms. The chickpeas will be done when they're golden. Just keep an eye on both of them and use your best judgement when to take each of them out.
- While those are roasting, cook the quinoa according to package directions. Don't forget to rinse your quinoa first before cooking it.
- When everything is done cooking, it's time to assemble this very awesome vegan bowl of yumz. First, let the chickpeas cool for at least five minutes after coming out of the oven. To assemble: Add a handful or two of greens to the bottom of some bowls. Drizzle on some lemon-tahini dressing. Top your bowl (in whatever way your heart desires) with carrots, cucumber, roasted sweet potatoes, chickpeas, quinoa, dry roasted edamame, cherry tomatoes, avocado, and hummus.
- Serve immediately! For any leftover potatoes or chickpeas, you put in the refrigerator. To reheat them, place on a baking sheet in a preheated oven at 400°F for 5 minutes.
[Recipe adapted from Oh She Glows]