Kitchen Sink Egg Bowl
Literally anything can go in here. It's one of my favorite breakfasts because it's quick, and it allows me to make use of anything in my fridge including any leftover meats or roasted potatoes or veggies.
Usually after a sweaty workout I tend to crave something savory, so this is often my go-to!
- Pick a protein: chicken, steak, deli ham or turkey, chicken or turkey sausage, black beans, etc.
- Pick out your veggies: onions, Brussel sprouts, bell peppers, asparagus, etc.
- Pick a grain: quinoa, brown rice, roasted potatoes, etc.
- 1 or 2 eggs
- Olive oil or olive oil spray
- Salt/pepper/other seasonings
- Toppings (ideas: hot sauce, Cholula, garlic powder, red pepper flakes, salsa, light sour cream, tomatoes, dollop of cottage cheese, guacamole, cilantro)
- Sauté in a little olive oil or olive oil spray your chopped veggies until they're soft. Or if the veggies are already cooked, just get them heated through again.
- Add in the chopped meat or beans until they're just heated through enough.
- Season this mixture with salt/pepper/any other seasoning you're feelin' at the time. Garlic powder or garlic salt are good options.
- Microwave your grain in a microwavable-safe bowl until it's hot. Top with your hot veggie and meat mixture.
- Fry an egg or two on the stove to your liking. I like my eggs to have a runny yolk. I cannot stand to eat hard yolks. I refuse to eat them! Always have, always will. Plus the runny yolks just pull the whole bowl together in my opinion.
- Top your bowl off with your egg(s) and any other toppings you'd like!
And there you have it. A veggie, complex carbohydrate, and protein-packed breakfast to fuel you for the day! This dish is also acceptable at lunch or dinner tho. Breakfast is an any time thing for me :)