Mexican food lover? Yes? Okay, good. You have proper functioning taste buds. CONGRATS! Lucky you, you've come across one of the greatest, easiest Mexican recipes ever that includes all those delicious Mexican ingredients and flavors.
I have declared that this is your next dinner for your family on Taco Tuesday. Don't let this day pass you by. It is a time to be alive and celebrate all those taco flavors in a little different form -- lasagna! Aka... it's just layered enchiladas. But guys... seriously, this recipe by Anne from Fannetastic Food is REEEAL good. I just slightly adapted her recipe.
And if you're vegetarian, just omit the chicken!
- Corn tortillas (about 10-12 depending on the size of pan you're using) or whole wheat tortillas, but corn tortillas give the dish a great flavor
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast
- 1 can (16 oz) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (16 oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 jar (16 oz) salsa + more for topping
- 1 cup light sour cream or plain Greek yogurt (I actually did half and half, mixing both sour cream and greek yogurt together)
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 can (16 oz) sweet whole kernel corn
- 1 1/2 - 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Splash of low-sodium soy sauce
- Avocado, for topping
- Fresh cilantro, chopped, if desired
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a large skillet, over medium-high heat, spray the pan with oil and sauté chopped peppers and onion with a splash of soy sauce and a generous sprinkle of ground cumin until both the peppers and onions are soft.
- In a deep casserole dish, layer corn tortillas on the bottom. Layer on roughly half the shredded chicken, beans, corn, salsa, sour cream/yogurt, sautéed green peppers and onions, and cheese, in that order. Add another layer of tortillas and repeat, saving a little of the salsa and cheese to go on top. Add one final layer of tortillas and top with the rest of the salsa, then the cheese.
- Bake in the oven for about 30 minutes or until heated through.
- Top with cilantro, avocado, and more salsa or sour cream if desired.