KALE, SWEET POTATO, & BACON FRITTATA (GF, Df)
Prepare yourself for a flavor explosion in your mouth.
- 6-8 eggs
- 1/2-1 cup liquid egg whites (you just want enough eggs/egg-whites to cover the veggies in the pan)
- 1 medium sweet potato, spiralized
- 2 cups kale, chopped
- 8 strips bacon (I used the Applegate brand)
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- Salt & Pepper
- Avocado oil spray for the pan
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a pie pan with avocado oil spray. Set aside.
- Chop off the ends of the sweet potato, and spiralize the potato into thin, curly "noodles."
- Heat a skillet over medium heat, and cook bacon according to package directions. Place the cooked bacon on paper towels to soak up the extra grease. Crumble into pieces. Pour out 1/2 the bacon grease from the pan into a small bowl. Set aside.
- Place the spiralized sweet potato into the skillet with bacon grease for a couple minutes, tossing often. Place the potatoes in the bottom of the already-sprayed pie pan.
- Sprinkle the crumbled bacon on top of the sweet potatoes.
- Add the leftover bacon grease back to the same skillet. Add the chopped kale and red bell pepper. Cook for a few minutes, just until the kale softens and wilts. Turn off the heat and sprinkle on top of the sweet potatoes and bacon in the pan.
- Whisk the eggs and egg whites in a medium bowl with some salt and pepper to taste. Add a splash of milk if you'd like too. Pour over the veggies in the pan, making sure everything is just covered with the egg mixture. If it's not, whisk a few more.
- Place in the oven for 55-65 minutes, or until the middle is firm and not wet anymore. When done, let sit for 5 minutes before serving.