Greek Yogurt Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread
Of all the breads out there in the world, pumpkin bread and banana bread tie for first in my tastebud world. So often though, both of these breads are made with white flour, lots of butter, white sugar, unhealthy oils, high-fat milk, etc. I'm always on a search for healthier breads and baked goods that don't compromise the taste and aren't dry and taste earthy due to whole wheat flour and no oils or anything.
My tips to making healthier quick breads, like pumpkin and banana bread:
1. Use white whole wheat flour instead of regular whole wheat flour. It tastes almost exactly like all-purpose flour would in a baked good, but it has all the vitamins still and the other great benefits of regular whole wheat flour.
2. Replace any butter or oil in the recipe with coconut oil, which is like amazing for you. Even though it's a saturated fat, it is a natural saturated fat. It helps convert "bad" cholesterol to "good" cholesterol in the body. Also, instead of getting stored in your body's fat stores, coconut oil is easy to digest, boosts your metabolism, and gets used as energy. It's like the holy grail of all the oils these days.
3. As for the loads of white sugar usually in quick breads, try using coconut sugar, maple syrup, or honey. These are all-natural sweeteners that our bodies prefer over white sugar.
4. Try to replace high fat cow's milk with an almond milk. My favorites are Califia Farms Toasted Coconut Almond Milk or Unsweetened Vanilla Almond milk (These are awesome on cereal too!).
Here's my take on making pumpkin bread healthier! I now present you...
Healthy Greek Yogurt Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread:
- 1-2 TB coconut oil, melted and slightly cooled
- 1 large egg at room temperature
- 1/2 cup maple syrup or honey
- 1/3 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup milk of choice
- 1 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1-2 tsps vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon (I always add a little extra because I'm a cinnamon-addict)
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4-1/2 tsp cloves
- sprinkle of ground ginger (optional...I didn't have any, but if I had some, I'd sprinkle a little in)
- 1/3 cup Dark chocolate chips (I used Enjoy Life dairy-free dark chocolate chips, found at most grocery stores)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 9x5 inch loaf pan (I hate the word "loaf" so much lol) with non-stick cooking spray. I used coconut oil spray.
- Melt coconut oil in the microwave. Let it cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, beat the oil and maple syrup (or honey) together. Add in greek yogurt, milk, and egg. Mix until well-blended. On low-speed beat in the pumpkin puree and vanilla extract.
- Sprinkle in the baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and optional: ginger. Stir to combine. Pour in the flour and stir until just incorporated. Stir in the dark chocolate chips.
- Pour into prepared loaf pan (Ugh...loaf...) and bake in the oven for 35-45 minutes or until a knife comes out clean. All ovens are different, so you will just need to check it periodically after a while to make sure it doesn't overcook.
- Let cool and EAT THE WHOLE PAN IN ONE SITTING!! :) Jk you might want to try and savor it, but it's challenging. Nothing beats a nice warm piece of pumpkin bread (especially with chocolate chips) right outta the oven. It tastes like a cross between St. Louis Bread Co.'s (or for you non-Saint Louis-ans...Panera) pumpkin muffies and chocolate chip muffies. So basically it's a heavenly loaf. Gosh, I need to stop saying loaf because I'm starting to hate myself and cringe every time I type it. Enough of my rambling...just go eat your pumpkin bread.