Gingerbread Muffins with cream cheese vanilla bean glaze
These muffins rocked my world and put me in the christmasy tastebud spirit in a heartbeat. So I'm sure they will do the same for you!
I adapted this recipe a little bit from www.preventionrd.com by substituting coconut oil for canola oil and half of the brown sugar for coconut sugar. As well as adding a fun little cream cheese vanilla bean glaze to top the muffins with. And they turned out just delightful and dandy. I had two of them right when they came out of the oven because they are just that good. Christmas season means enjoying alllll the goods! Actually that's not at all what Christmas means, but I like to think enjoying all the food can be a big part :)
Makes 12-14 muffins.
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour or whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 Tbsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsulphered light molasses
- 1 cup milk of choice
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted and slightly cooled
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 3 TB cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1-2 TB milk
- 1/2 vanilla bean, seeds scraped
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a muffin tin with nonstick baking spray or line with muffin liners.
- Melt coconut oil in a small microwavable bowl. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugars, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, baking soda, and salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together molasses, milk, egg, vanilla extract, and melted coconut oil.
- Pour wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Stir until just combined.
- Pour the batter into prepared muffin tin, filling the muffin cups about 2/3 full. Bake for about 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- While the muffins are baking, combine the glaze ingredients in a bowl. With a hand mixer, combine the cream cheese, milk, powdered sugar, and seeds from vanilla bean.
- When then muffins are done baking, allow to cool and then drizzle with glaze.
- Enjoy the holiday gingerbread flavors!