I'm on a gingerbread flavor kick apparently. Yesterday was those gingerbread muffins with a cream cheese vanilla bean glaze, and today it's this crunchy christmasy breakfast/snack! I was inspired by a lot of different recipes out there, and I just combined them all and made my own version, which I think turned out pretty darn fabulous.
I can't wait to try it on top of a greek yogurt bowl or on top of overnight oats or something. So far it has been consumed by the handful. Oops!
- 4 cups rolled oats
- 1 1/2 cups nuts (I used a mix of cashews and pecans, but walnuts would be great too)
- 3/4 - 1 cup coconut flakes/shreds (I used unsweetened)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 TB cinnamon
- 1/2 TB ground ginger
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup unsulphured molasses (I used Trader Joe's brand)
- Splash of vanilla extract and/or maple extract
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Mix the oats, nuts, coconut flakes, salt, cinnamon, and ground ginger in a large bowl.
- Melt the coconut oil in a small bowl in the microwave for about 45 seconds, or until completely melted.
- Pour the maple syrup, molasses, and vanilla extract into the bowl of melted coconut oil. Mix and warm in the microwave for another 30 seconds or so.
- Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until everything is evenly mixed and coated.
- Transfer granola to two baking sheets and spread it out evenly to allow even baking.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until it has visibly browned (but not burnt), mixing the granola around halfway through.
- Allow to cool completely before storing it away in order to let it get crunchy. Keep in an airtight container for a couple of weeks.