Ever heard of the famous Elvis Presley comfort food combination?!
Apparently not everyone does, which I thought was common knowledge, but I guess I can be here to educate!
The "Elvis" is a combo of peanut butter, banana, honey, and bacon. Often times, I've seen this incorporated into donut flavors, french toast, toast, breakfast sandwiches, and even oatmeal, which is what I decided to try out today, and I found it actually very delicious. I'm sure you're saying to yourself: "WHAT?? EW! Bacon in oatmeal! Better go get yourself checked out Janie...Cuz this sounds cray cray girl."
I don't need to go get my tastebuds checked out I promise. I'm actually ALL about those sweet and savory flavors within a meal, and this oatmeal bowl with banana, honey, peanut butter, and turkey bacon did not disappoint!
I dare you to try it.
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup milk or water
- 1/4 cup liquid egg whites
- Splash of vanilla extract
- Honey to sweeten
- 1/2 Banana, cut in slices
- Natural peanut butter
- 2 slices bacon (or turkey bacon)
- Cook the bacon on the stove or microwave. Cut/tear into small pieces.
- Pour the oats and liquid into a small saucepan. Turn the stove on high and bring to a slight boil, and then turn down the heat to medium low and simmer for a few minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Once a lot of the liquid has been absorbed, add in the liquid egg whites (optional) and stir quickly and continuously at first to incorporate the egg whites thoroughly so they don't turn into scrambled eggs!
- Add in the vanilla extract and honey.
- Once the oats are thickened to your liking, remove from heat and pour into a bowl.
- Top with half (or whole) banana, bacon, and a good ol' spoonful of peanut butter. No skimping allowed.
- Enjoy your sweet and savory Elvis-style bowl of oats!