Crockpot Santa fe Chicken
I think this is going on your next week’s meal plan for Tuesday. because umm…well, you celebrate Taco Tuesday each week like a normal person right? It’s a weekly food-day rule. Along with Toast Tuesday (which shares the day with Taco Tuesday), Waffle Wednesday, I have no idea about Thursday, French toast fridays or flapjack fridays, pancake saturdays or sundays, Sunday Sundaes, and Meatless monday. THere’s also national food holidays out there for every day of the year, which you should also be keeping up with so you can celebrate with your friends and family on that day of course. Am I the only one who does that? ….Yeah? ….Oh, Uhhh…. Okay This is awkward… I guess I’ll celebrating cheese pizza day on September 5 (AKA my birthday) to sooth my lonely feelings.
Jk y’all are all invited :) Celebrating food holidays is FUN!!! :D It’s the little things right? I mean, don’t you love it when you actually have an excuse to eat pints of ice cream on National Ice cream day or spoonful after spoonful of peanut butter on National Peanut butter day (March 2) or ALLLL the free donuts on national donut day?!?
Back to Taco Tuesday —> I’ve made this recipe a couple other times and it’s just a great, tried and true, simple yet tasty, and also healthy Mexican crockpot dish that has all the usual yummy taco tuesday ingredients and you can top it off with all the remaining Mexican food favorites! Like guacamole or avocado, salsa, sour cream, shredded cheese, queso, tomatoes, crumbled tortilla chips, refrained black beans, etc. Really, you can’t go wrong with these ingredients ya know? We all know they all get mixed together like a massive lump of gooey goodness and tastes the same as any other delicious mexican dish, so might as well try this recipe out for you or your family sometime for an easy Taco Tuesday dinner? You can eat this by itself in bowls, top it on a bed of lettuce for a taco salad, stuff it in a giant tortilla for a burrito, make little tacos out of it, or even top nachos with it. Really, it’s all up to you on how you use this shredded mexican chicken dish. Plus, this recipe is great for leftovers as well, eaten cold or hot.
- 24 oz (1 1/2) lbs chicken breast
- 14.4 oz can diced tomatoes with mild green chilies
- 15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 8 oz frozen corn, drained
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 14.4 oz can fat free chicken broth
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper (to taste)
- Salt to taste
- Combine chicken broth, drained beans, drained corn, tomatoes, cilantro, scallions, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, cayenne pepper and salt in the crockpot.
- Season chicken breast with salt and pepper and lay on top.
- Cook on low for 10 hours or on high for 6 hours. Half hour before serving, remove chicken and shred. Return chicken to slow cooker and stir in along with some salsa. Adjust salt and seasoning to taste. Serve over rice or tortillas or greens and your favorite toppings.