Crockpot BBQ Pulled Pork
- 1 teaspoon avocado oil (or other oil)
- 1 (3-4 pound) pork roast (shoulder or loin)
- 1 cup + 1/2 cup barbecue sauce with NO high fructose corn syrup! (I used one from Trader Joe's)
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 3 TB coconut sugar (or sub brown sugar)
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 extra large onion, chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, crushed and minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 8 whole wheat or sprouted grain hamburger buns
- Butter for buns (optional)
- Pour the oil into the bottom of a slow cooker. Place the pork roast into the slow cooker; pour in the 1 cup barbecue sauce, 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar, and 1/2 cup chicken broth. Stir in the brown sugar, yellow mustard, Worcestershire sauce, chili powder, onion, garlic, and thyme. Cover and cook on High until the roast shreds easily with a fork, about 4-5 hours. Alternatively, you can cook on low for 7-9 hours (depending on the size of the pork roast).
- Remove the roast from the slow cooker, and shred the meat using two forks. You can get rid of excess fat here. Return the shredded pork to the slow cooker, and stir the meat into the juices. Stir in the extra 1/4-1/2 cup BBQ sauce (not super necessary, but that's what I did!).
- Lightly spread the inside of both halves of hamburger buns with butter if desired. Toast the buns in a toaster oven or on a skillet, putting the buns butter side down in the pan over medium heat until golden brown. Spoon pork into the toasted buns.